Sunday, July 13, 2008

Octopi and Marty McFly

Well, here I am referring to NPR again. I just have to share a couple new stories I have learned this week. The first may be semantically alarming, much like the Pluto crisis of '07. I have heard from a reliable source that the word "octopi" is really not the plural of octopus. In an interview, the scientist who works with the octopuses, who I am not going to cite as I don't remember her name nor care to take the time looking it up, did confirm that "octopuses" is the correct term for more than one octopus. Another interesting factoid is that, with the learning capacity near the average dog, the octopus is one of the most intelligent, if not the most intelligent, invertebrates. I'm pretty sure "invertebrates" is the correct plural on that one...

Now, on to footwear. It appears that there is quite a movement to have the Air McFly created for the masses. For those of you who didn't grow up quoting "Hello McFly!" and "Great Scott!", these are the shoes Michael J. Fox's character wears when he is transported to 2015, in the movie Back to the Future III. There is controversy that a version that has been released doesn't look close enough to Marty's. However, my biggest question is if they will have that little button on them that sucks them in and fits them perfectly to your feet. His jacket not only did that, but had a ventilation system that dried it instantly. Get me those and a hoverboard and I'll be ready to take on the year 2015!


Speaking of shoes, I must share with you all my favorite new music video. For the last few months I have been in love with Brad Paisley's song, Waitin' on a Woman. Imagine my excitement when he just released it as his new single. Now imagine even more excitement when I found out Andy Griffith temporarily came out of retirement to be in the music video! Brad Paisley has done it again. Chalk up one more "best music video" to him.

D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Pluto Crisis of '07! LOL!

I'm still not happy about that. Pluto will always be a planet to me.

I'll have to check out Brad Paisley's video. I haven't heard that song yet.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! It's the perfect song for me since I'm always late! And with both Brad and Andy in the video it is just oozing with charm!

Unknown said...

Scientists are reliable sources of information for science, and certainly not English usage. I suggest you buy a dictionary -- a good one, and not a "descriptive" dictionary.

Anonymous said...

Hey, very good point about scientists and the English language. I could have been more specific in saying that in many circles the term "octopi" is not used. Since my writing style tends to be more like a casual conversation and just plain goofy, a prescriptive dictionary may be a little confining. ;)