Tuesday, August 12, 2008

If it's all about image, what is "Highest-ranking imperial concubine's milk bread" doing for ya?

By now most of you have probably heard about the Milli Vanilli scandal at the opening ceremonies. The little girl who sang whenTeam China entered was determined not cute enough. So, in "national interest" (apparently determined by the National Department of Cuteness) and at the last minute (the Minister of Cuteness had until then been focused on a massive Hello Kitty seige) the girls were swapped... but not the voices. So, at a ceremony that celebrates the many talents of the world, this little girl was told you are talented, but what's really important is that you are cute... and you are not cute. For what it's worth, I think they're both adorable, but then again, what do I know, I'm not the Minister of Cuteness.

Oh, but at least this doesn't happen with the athletes. There must be some other factor that explains why I see action shots of guys playing beach volleyball in shorts and shirts, but switch over to the women and they are standing around in little bikinis. Apparently, this is because the women don't actually have faces, thus the only differtiating factor the public has is their butt. This is why we must not be distracted by excess clothing and the butt must be visible, if not central, in every shot. This is extremely hard to do when they are actually playing great volleyball, so they must do it while they are calling plays or getting pictures taken with the president. But, to give credit where credit is due, so far the U.S. women's butt's are kicking everybody else's.

Well, we've learned that image is apparently a national matter in China... and maybe some other places... so, what is the average Olympic tourist seeing on the streets of Beijing? For this I turn to a great source of what's really happening in Beijing, field reporter, Dave Barry. According to Barry's blog the people of China have been nothing but helpful, kind and welcoming. The food on the other hand... let's just say I'm not sure what Highest-ranking imperial concubine's milk bread is doing for the whole image thing.
-D-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww...that's so sad. I didn't hear about them switching the little girls.

I tried to get into the Olympics this year, but I decided I was bored so I'm back to watching my Gilmore Girls DVDs. I'll just read your blogs to keep up.

Anonymous said...

I was kind of upset about this revelation as well, and even more so that it comes upon the heels of the report that the "footprints over Beijing" fireworks were not real at all, but digital creations. Just what is China trying to pull? It's great that they want to present their country in the best light, but to put a false face on it is the equivalent of lying.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is sad...sorry it took me so long to read this. Being near Vancouver pre Vancouver 2010 olympics just goes to show you that it really is all about image. I heard a ton...and witnessed the increase in my own town...of what I can only term displacement. They are shipping (and paying for their removal) the homeless people out of Vancouver and into various locations all across BC...how's that for image control