Thursday, August 20, 2009

Three Good Books

These are the three most recent books I've read & listened to (via audiobook from the library). Good, good & good!Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon, is actually the first in a series. And if you start this series, you better have some time on your hands. These are thick books! (and hard to put down) Outlander is about time-travel, strapping Scottish clansmen & romance...mostly romance. I'm not very good at explaining book plots, but I can tell you I couldn't wait to get back to it once I put it down. There was always something going on! Dragonfly in Amber is next in this series...& next on my "To Read" list.East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Steinbeck was so thorough at detailing each character (there were many) in the beginning chapters, I was half bored. Once it got going, though, I was really hooked. I kept trying to guess what would happen next & ended up wrong every time. That made me happy. I like "unpredictable" in a book. The plot revolves around Cathy, a complete sociopath & prostitute...& Adam, the man she marries & betrays. The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls. This is one of those books that makes you feel every emotion...happy, sad, happy again, angry...but mostly you laugh. Half the time you just laugh in disbelief. The Glass Castle is an autobiography, about Jeannette, her three siblings & their crazy, self-absorbed, nomadic parents. This book's ending gave me great satisfaction.

Melissa

No comments: