Sunday, June 28, 2009

News In All Its Forms

There are a few words in the English language that just sound weird when they hit my ears. "Pubescent", no matter what the context, just makes me crinkle my nose when I say it. Perhaps this is why this headline made me take a double take:

"Telescope finds space blobs are pubescent galaxies"

I just had to laugh that they used that adjective to describe a galaxy, but... oh wait... it gets better...

Wednesday, June 24, 2009
WASHINGTON - Mysterious space blobs aren't infant galaxies as astronomers once thought.
Scientists say they mostly consist of galaxies going through puberty, all hot and bothered.

Wow! Someone was either having fun with their journalistic liberties or they are raising a young teenager and their homelife snuck into their work... well, maybe both. I doubt any of these kids are reading this article, but aren't they going through enough? I'm sure their older sister's have referred to them as "gaseous blobs" enough... they don't need it cemented in news print.

...One theory was that they were young galaxies cooling off. But the new research says they are hot and chaotic with gas halos, growing supermassive black holes and about to stabilize....

Oh, I remember breaking out in quite a few supermassive black holes...

;) Deanna

No comments: