Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Dessert Recipe - Fast, Easy, and Lower Calories!

I found myself with some rhubarb this week so I decided to do a little experiment. I combined a couple recipes and did some substitutes to lower the fat and calories and it turned out good!

First (well, after I started the oven preheating at 350) I pulled out my 9X9 (or close to that anyway) pan and filled the bottom with 4 cups chopped (about 1/2 in squares) rhubarb. Then I added 2 tablespoons water and 1 cup Splenda over the top.

Next I used the crisp recipe my sister gave me, but with a couple substitutions. I mixed together 1/2 package of cake mix, 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt (to replace the butter), 1 tablespoon cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons Splenda. I made it into a crumble with my fork and then covered the rhubarb.

About a 1/2 hour of baking later I had quite a yummy dessert (and my apartment smelled amazing)! I added a little Haagen-Das Vanilla, Honey and Granola Frozen Yogurt.

I made this yesterday and sampled it today. I actually think I like it a little better chilled overnight so you might want to sample it both ways. Happy eating!
=) Deanna

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Interesting you say you like it better after sitting overnight...my apple crisp is better that way too...& brownies. I wonder if all desserts are better if you let them sit overnight? Hard to tell when they don't last that long, huh? I'm glad to hear it was delicious after making the substitutions. Don't you wish they would just write the recipes healthy in the first place so you don't have to go to all the trouble of figuring it out?!