Monday, December 1, 2008

Take a Number


I was sucked into Joann’s tonight. I wanted to grab some fabric for a project I’m working on. After wandering through a plethora polka dots, plaids, and paisley I headed over to the fabric cutter. There was a customer at the counter, so I stood to the side waiting my turn. A lady working on some sort of knitting at the side counter stared at me.

“Did you take a number?” The lady asked as she looked over her glasses with superiority.

I don’t buy fabric often, so I felt like I was breaking some sort of rule.

“Oh! No, I didn’t realize I needed to.” I grabbed a number figuring there must be customers I couldn’t see wandering among the fleeces and flannels. I looked around and saw no one checking out the counter and then I had to keep my laughter in as I noticed the sign above the counter said “33”. I looked back at my ticket and confirmed I was 34. The young worker finished up with the customer and then looked up at the sign.

“Number 34.” She announced to the crowd standing around the counter (by crowd I mean me). I looked around and chuckled to myself as the knitting lady was the only other person within earshot and she was oblivious to us now. I stepped up and handed the girl my number that I had grabbed just minutes before. Whew, it’s a good thing I had some guidance, imagine the chaos I could have caused by disrupting their advanced system.
+Deanna+

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's it! I would've tracked that old bitty down and said something! :)

Are you gonna tell what you're making?

Do you need a sewing machine? I happen to know someone (me) who is getting a new sewing machine for Christmas & wanted to give her old one to someone that would have fun with it. If you want it, I'll save it for you.

katy said...

That's hilarious! I love it! I can totally picture it all happening in my mind. :)