Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Big Dump '08: A New Record


Well, I just thought I'd give you all an update. I read this on Yahoo News today:

By NICHOLAS K. GERANIOS, Associated Press Writer Nicholas K. Geranios, Associated Press Writer – Tue Dec 30, 2:16 pm ET

SPOKANE, Wash. –

...The center of a snow-laden supermarket roof in north Spokane collapsed Monday evening, prompting the evacuation of that store and adjacent businesses. A fire official said only one minor injury was reported....
The collapses came as Spokane set a monthly record for snowfall, at 59.7 inches, after 8.3 inches were recorded in the 24-hour period ending at 4 p.m. Monday, said National Weather Service meteorologist Ellie Kelch. That's more snow than the area receives in a typical winter.
The city's previous record of 56.9 inches was set in January 1950. Snowfall records in the area have been kept since 1893, Kelch said.

I would just like to remind you that 59.7 inches is actually 0.3 inches shy of 5 feet of snow! Oh, and the grocery store that collapsed, that's where I get my groceries and, if I would have returned my movie on time, I would have been at the time of the collapse. The roof over my gym's pool has also collapsed to add to the growing statistic. So far it sounds like nobody has been seriously hurt by the cave-ins. The city has actually called in the National Gaurd to help out a bit too.

There is supposed to be another storm coming in tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be safe. Don't go to any businesses with flat roofs until all that snow melts...

5 feet?!!! Yikes!

katy said...

My dad was telling me about this the other day! That's crazy!! But so fun. :) We probably only have about 2 feet here. You were probably snowbound for Christmas, huh? I didn't get to go home, either, but I still had a lovely time. p.s. that Thai restaurant looks amazingly delicious!